Network Automation in the WAN (NA-WAN) is an advanced-level course.
This course benefits individuals responsible for managing MPLS networks that want to add automation using the NorthStar Controller and NorthStar Planner, including individuals in professional services, sales and support organizations, and the end users.
The prerequisites for this course are as follows:
- Understanding of the OSI model;
- Junos OS configuration experience—the Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS) course or equivalent;
- Advanced MPLS knowledge—the Junos MPLS Fundamentals (JMF) course or equivalent.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the various WAN domains.
- Describe the use cases for NorthStar.
- Describe the use cases for WANDL IP/MPLSView.
- Describe the usage of PCEP.
- Describe RSVP signaling using the CSPF algorithm.
- Describe the NorthStar VMs and their processes.
- Describe the post installation setup process.
- Describe the behavior of topology discovery.
- Describe the configuration of IGP topology discovery.
- Describe the configuration of BGP-LS topology discovery.
- Describe how to access the NorthStar Controller Operator and Planner user interfaces.
- Describe the basic features of the NorthStar Controller Operator user interface.
- Describe the various LSP types.
- Configure PCC controlled LSPs.
- Configure PCE delegated LSPs.
- Configure PCE initiated LSPs.
- Monitor LSPs from the NorthStar Operator user interface.
- Describe primary, secondary, and standby LSPs.
- Describe symmetric pairs of LSPs.
- Describe diversity groups.
- Describe using Junos MPLS LSP templates.
- Describe LSP calendaring.
- Describe Inter-AS LSPs.
- Describe how to provision multiple LSPs.
- Describe LSP optimization.
- Explain the features, capabilities, and benefits of IP/MPLSView and how they work to optimize WAN design.
- Access IP/MPLSView and navigate and customize the IP/MPLSView administrative interface.
- Explain different methods of creating a network model.
- Manage different files that make up a network model and understand how these files are organized.
- Modify a network model by performing tasks such as adding links, nodes, and sites and save these changes to a modeled network.
- Optimize network demand paths, design diverse paths, and perform what-if scenarios to see how demands are routed.
- Simulate link and node failures and view the effects of these failures on demand routing across the WAN.
- Analyze and manage network information using the Report Manager interface.
- Perform hardware inventory using the IP/MPLSView interface.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: WAN Automation
- The WAN Network
- Juniper Network WAN Automation Overview
Chapter 3: NorthStar Controller Architecture
- PCE Communication Protocol
- LSP Signaling and the CSPF Algorithm
- NorthStar Virtual Machines
- Initial Setup
- Lab 1: Initial Setup
Chapter 4: Topology Discovery
- Topology Discovery Overview
- IGP Topology Discovery
- BGP-LS Topology Discovery
- Lab 2: Topology Discovery
Chapter 5: Using the NorthStar Controller
- Operator User Interface Overview
- User Options
- More Options
- Planner User Interface Overview
- Lab 3: Using the NorthStar Controller
Chapter 6: Basic LSP Management
- LSP Control Review
- Configuring PCC Controlled LSPs
- Configuring PCE Delegated LSPs
- Configuring PCE Initiated LSPs
- Verifying LSP Status
- Lab 4: Basic LSP Management
Chapter 7: Advanced LSP Management
- Secondary and Standby LSPs
- Symmetric Pairs of LSPs
- Diversity Groups
- Junos MPLS LSP Templates
- LSP Calendaring
- Inter-AS LSPs
- Provisioning Multiple LSPs
- LSP Optimization
- Lab 5: Advanced LSP Management
Chapter 8: Segment Routing
- Segment Routing Overview
- Configuring a PCC to Support SR
- Managing SR LSPs
- Lab 6: Segment Routing
Chapter 9: P2MP LSPs
- P2MP LSP Overview
- NorthStar P2MP Configuration and Management
Chapter 10: Maintenance Scheduling and NETCONF Provisioning
- Maintenance Scheduling
- NETCONF Provisioning
- Modifying Network Models
- Lab 7: Scheduling Maintenance and NETCONF Provisioning
Chapter 11: Data Collection and Analytics
- Telemetry Architecture
- JTI Router Configuration
- LSP Routing Behavior
- Lab 8: Data Collection and Analytics
Chapter 12: NorthStar Controller Troubleshooting
- Process Troubleshooting
- Log File Analysis
- Network Topology Troubleshooting
- Lab 9: NorthStar Controller Troubleshooting
Chapter 13: REST API
- NorthStar Controller REST API Concepts
- REST API Examples
- Network Topology Troubleshooting
Chapter 14: NorthStar Planner
- Launching NorthStar Planner
- NorthStar Planner Interface
- Lab 10: NorthStar Planner Interface
Chapter 15: NorthStar Planner Path Analysis and Design
- Optimize LSP Routing
- Diverse LSP Design
- Adding Network Demands, Links, Nodes
- Lab 11: NorthStar Planner Path Analysis and Design
Chapter 16: Network Demand Placement and Outage Simulation
- Network Demand Placement
- Failure Simulation
- Lab 12: Demand Placement and Failure Simulation